The conference will be held at the Grand Central Hotel, a beautifully refurbished British Railways hotel in the heart of Glasgow, from 18- 22 October. Adjoining Scotland’s busiest station, the newly refurbished hotel is one of the city’s most prestigious buildings and has welcomed many famous guests including Winston Churchill, Frank Sinatra and The Beatles.
Welcome to IRSC 2020
18-22 October. Glasgow
The Rail Safety Standards Board (RSSB), Network Rail (NR) and the Office of Rail and Road (ORR) are delighted to be hosting the world’s rail safety experts at the 30th International Railway Safety Conference to be held in Glasgow in October.
IRSC provides an international forum for an in-depth exchange of experience and lessons for improving railway safety.
Held at the Grand Central Hotel
Steeped in history
Scotland’s Railway is steeped in history dating back to 1838 when the first station was opened; Glasgow also hosts the 3rd oldest underground in the world. In order to keep moving forward with the times re-development has been key with lots of exciting new railway projects being delivered; this includes new platforms, a new line being opened in the Borders and new trains introduced on the recently electrified line between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
The theme at the 30th IRSC conference will be Looking Back, Looking Forward; we are keen to hear about:
- Learning from incidents and planning change. For example:
Novel decision-making processes
Learning from previous change management: new approaches or technologies, successes and challenges
Approaches to ensure the change is properly implemented and monitored
The risks of transition and how to manage these
- Collaborating across the workforce
- What’s next looking forward to 2050. For example:
Threats and opportunities for the railway industry from disruptive technology or events
Helping avert climate emergency and the carbon reduction agenda: risk assessing alternative fuels, their use, storage and distribution
- Learning and sharing from railways in Scotland. For example:
Maintaining infrastructure in remote locations
Level crossings in rural locations
Top reasons for attending IRSC 2020
- Opportunities to connect and network with a global railway safety community
- Opportunities to see best practice in action in a country with one of the safest railways in the world
- Learn how the United Kingdom is successfully managing a changing railway system – with unprecedented investment in infrastructure and the introduction of new rolling stock
- Learn how the United Kingdom is refocusing on putting the customer first
Join IRSC 2020 to share the rail safety industry’s knowledge and innovation around change management, we look forward to welcoming you to Glasgow – the gateway to the Scottish Highlands!